Deadline: 15th January, 2024
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The purpose of this position is to manage and implement financial systems in CEFROHT by
prescribing Policies, Procedures, and internal financial controls designed to protect funds from
misuse and loss
Plan, monitor, control and evaluate organizational financial performance as well as promote and
maintain operational efficiency.
At CEFROHT we recognize that financial systems are part and integral to successful program and
project implementation. Therefore, this position will span from strategic budgeting, guided
implementation, value for money and reports.
This position reports to the Executive Director
Key Result Areas:
- Oversee the financial systems and operations of the organization and ensure timely and
accurate financial reports and practices including cash management, payroll, financial
disbursements, ledgers and reconciliations.
- Responsible for financial information and maintaining all financial records for projects and
for the organization as per CEFROHT and donor requirements; and maintaining donor
- Manage financial controls, prepare and analyze budgets, develop financial reports, and make
recommendations to the organization on budget expenditures.
- Obtain approvals from the Executive Director and from the donors on all procurements and
guide other implementing staff purchases for the projects and for the organization.
- Monitor the expenditures to ensure value for money and that program funds are utilized
appropriately by the close of the fiscal year.
- Provide orientation and training to the organization staff on cost-effective management.
- Ensure that all financial reporting is completed on time and submitted to donors.
- Oversee the financial audits of all projects of the organization.
- Provide financial inputs for proposal development, project management, Human Resource
Management policies, logistics, travel and other areas of administration.
- Review all financial commitments and payments requests to ensure compliance with
Plan Policies and procedures.
- Process all financial transactions in Quickbooks and or any other accounting system
adopted by CEFROHT to enable accurate financial reporting and monitoring.
- Prepare reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis to ensure
exceptions are identified and dealt promptly.
- Prepare financial management reports on a monthly basis and provide information to
the management for decision making.
- Perform physical verification of Assets at least once per year to ensure that all assets
are accurately recorded.
- Maintain and manage achieving of financial documents to safe guard financial records
and audit trails.
- Prepare monthly payroll and all the related statutory returns; compute staff separation
benefits and ensure and periodic PAYE returns are done to ensure adherence to the
approved Plan P & C policies, Employment Law and Tax Laws.
- Review online transactions for changes, accuracy and correct errors.
- File CEFROHT’s annual returns.
- Prepare and up-date cash books, assets register, bank reconciliations and bank statements
- Acknowledge receipt of receivables or incomes from donors and local contributions and
deposit all to bank accounts.
- Prepare source documents and electronic data to support both internal and external audit.
- Create controls and processes, aligned to the finance department and CEFROHT’s policies
and guidelines, to ensure legality and quality of all transactions and such that they are
approved in line with donor and CEFROHT policies
- Prepare and review monthly transactions listing for completeness and assurance and post
required adjustments in a timely fashion.
- Reconcile all project balance sheet accounts every month
- Prepare and review monthly reserves statement for each project, and review for exceptions.
- Resolve and clear any historical outstanding balances
- Ensure all transactions are supported by adequate documentation, approved and that
documentation is filed and retained in a suitable way
- Ensure all reversing transactions are adequately cleared on a timely basis
- Ensure CEFROHT’s internal year-end deadlines are met, and transactions are accrued in a
timely fashion at this stage if required.
- Ensure that all accruals are reviewed periodically and settled especially before project closure.
- Ensure all aspects of Contract Management System relating to finance are completed and
consistent with the finance system.
- As assigned/ required, attend oversight group meetings and raise any financial strategic
concerns or risks and discuss financial performance
- Produce financial analysis as required by the project team to assist decision-making
- Produce financial risk-register to be reviewed monthly, and share key concerns with project
teams as appropriate, working with them to develop mitigation.
- Design, calculate and record any regular key performance indicators (KPIs) for the project(s),
providing narrative explanations for variances versus expectations where appropriate respond
to donor questions regarding financials at any time and as required.
- Work with SMT finance staff to ensure banking arrangements are set up to meet donor requirements.
- Forecast required cash flow for the project and work with SMT to avoid any cash shortages
or surpluses within the project(s)
- Manage day to day to finances, including processing invoices, expenditures etc in
collaboration with finance & procurement departments.
- Work closely with others in the Finance and Operation’s department to contribute to
CEFROHT’s systems, processes, guidelines.
- Liaise with internal and external auditors to manage audits, meet all requirements and
complete any audit recommendations, coordinating other staff at all stages
- Share Project Management best practices and tools.
- Work with Project teams to ensure 100% recovery of own costs, and full utilisation of time
across multiple projects
- Undertake projects or any other work relevant to the grade and functional specialty as
directed by line managers.
- Provide quarterly updates on progress against objectives for review and discussion with
immediate supervisor, the frequency of which may be reduced as deemed appropriate by
Key Performance Indicators
To facilitate tracking of the job holder’s performance during the year, the following performance
indicators have been identified and agreed upon:
Running or functional accounting package for the organization.
Filed financial source documents with full accountabilities
Prepared monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports
Prepared financial statements of CEFROHT
Reconciled project budgets
Evidence of bank reconciliations and bank statements
Up-dated cash book and assets register.
Evidence of filed annual returns and payment of statutory deductions
Plan of activities on building staff’s capacity in financial management.
Evidence of internal and external audit reports
Knowledge in the following areas is required for this position:
-Should hold at least a Degree in Business Administration, majoring in Accounting, Finance or
any related qualifications.
-Qualification in is a must CPA; and ACCA is highly desirable;
-Must have competence in the use of Quick Books;
-Must have at least four years’ experience working in Accounts of a Non-Government/Not
for profit Organization or other entities.
The Senior Accountant will be expected to have the following skills and attributes:
– Proven accounting experience.
-Familiarity with book keeping and basic accounting procedures.
-Competency in MS office, database and accounting softwares.
-Hands on experience with spreadsheets and financial reports.
-Accuracy and attention to details.
-Ability to perform filing and record keeping tasks.
-Well organized team player and willing to learn.
-Data entry and Word processing skills.