Deadline: 15th January, 2024
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Promote the realization of the right to adequate food (including food availability, food accessibility,
healthy diets, adequacy/quality and sustainability for all), agroecology/sustainable agrifood systems,
and land justice in Uganda and East Africa, for all especially the vulnerable persons like women,
PWDs, and children and communities.
Analyze all laws, policies, and practices impacting the right to adequate food, economic and nutrition
rights and health wellbeing, and come up with recommendations and interventional areas.
Engage duty bearers at all levels to make sure that the legal and policy framework is used as a key
driver for the realization of the rights to adequate living, healthy diets and prevention of diet related
Provide leadership and support for communications at CEFORHT as well as mentorship and
oversight on the communications team.
The position requires to coordinate and advance legal-policy advocacy, campaigns, partnerships and
communications in the three organizational domains of; food, agriculture and land justice to ensure
that laws, policies, practices and social norms comply with the right to food, nutrition, health and
economic wellbeing and also comply to human rights principles. It is a dynamic position that
includes; fundraising, development and communications responsibilities with a strong connection to
CEFROHT’s programmatic work and mission.
This position reports to the Director Quality Assurance
Key Result Areas:
Partnerships and Networking
- Strategically work with CEFROHT partners at local, reginal and international level to
promote the right to adequate food and sustainable agrifood systems
- Work to sustainably build networks for building capacity of the member organizations in the
collaboratives and coalitions.
- Hold and work with the CEFROHT’s multisectoral platforms including government agencies
and non-state actors in the food, nutrition and agriculture.
- Consistently organize and manage CEFROHT’s relationship with the strategic
networks and alliances at national and international level in the food and agriculture
- Work to promote a Human Rights Based Approach to food systems and adequate
living for all especially the vulnerable persons in society.
- Represent CEFROHT and participate in network and alliance meetings, events and
forums at national and international levels.
- Ensure effective information flow and communication with other stakeholders
including partners and local teams
-Analyze existing legal and policy frameworks in food, nutrition, health, trade and investment
systems, and identify the areas and circumstances where CEFROHT can cause social change
in society though advocacy and campaigns.
-Acts as the focal point of all advocacy, campaigns, partnership and communications support
-Conduct periodical organizational stakeholder analysis and develop engagement strategy.
-Manage policy dialogues/meetings with duty bearers as well as community barazas.
-Establish result-oriented feedback mechanism for policy dialogues and barazas.
-Operationalize CEFROHT’s communication strategy.
-Create and manage the organizational Communications Calendar
-Manage media including their trainings, fellowships and feedback;
– Oversee and maintain online outreach and produce information materials for public outreach
-Develop internal communications plan/strategy to help build organizational program
-Coordinate presentations, logistics and messages for internal and external meetings for
-Identify innovative opportunities and new advocacy and communications tools and platforms
which can serve to highlight the work of CEFROHT;
Programme Planning, Management and Implementation
- Provide leadership in the development of strategic plans and budgets for Advocacy and
- Provide leadership to the Programme Team towards achieving the objectives of the
- Review and ensure alignment of program priorities, strategies and plans to the
organizational strategies, plans and campaigns.
- Support the Executive Director and the Senior Management Team to lead the
development of both strategic and operational plans and planning guidelines.
- Ensure programme activities are grounded, strongly inter linked, and consolidated with
organizational management frameworks
- Ensure quality implementation of all projects under Advocacy and Partnership program.
- Ensure results are clearly documentedin the most effective way demonstrating value for
Program Reviews, Monitoring, Evaluation, Program Learning and Reporting.
- Ensure close monitoring of the program works in the field to ensure alignment and
contribution to organization’s strategy, monitor flow of information and systemic
documentation of quantitative and qualitative achievements in the field and lessons
- Ensure quality and timely submission of quarterly and annual or required Programme
and Project Performance Reports as per desired standards and guidelines.
- Ensure compliance of approved Programme and Project plans.
- Promote evidence-based learning and the agenda of advancing alternatives.
- Represent the organization in various programme-related knowledge sharing and
learning forums, document and share feedback with the team.
- Track trends in contemporary development programming and programme
management practices, document and provide advice/ recommendations on key
developments to senior management team.
- Develop, monitor, review and update the Programme department activity, work plan to
ensure that it attains its objectives as cost-effectively and efficiently as possible
- Review and approve programme concepts, partner financial requests as per
organizational process and procedures.
- Manage the expenditure and disbursement of resources allocated to program department and
ensure timely and complete accountabilities.
- Review programme expenditures from the programme team line staff to ensure
conformity to Financial and Procurement policies and guidelines.
- Monitor and advise on programme and project spending and variance report as per
organizational process and procedures.
Policy Management and Compliance
- Lead the development and implementation of guidelines for the management
of partnerships in line with relevant organizational policies.
- Participate in the review and update of CEFROHT policies and procedures and advise
the SMT on the potential implications of the new system, policies and procedures.
- Implement all necessary policies and procedures to ensure that correct procedures are
followed by staff under supervision.
- Adhere/ Comply with approved organizational policies and procedures.
Key Performance Indicators
To facilitate tracking of the job holder’s performance during the year, the following performance
indicators have been identified and agreed upon:
- Plan of activities of advocacy and partnership program
- Performance results of CEFROHT’s communication strategy.
- Existence of communication’s calendar.
- Plan of activities on partnership and collaboration activities.
- List of CEFROHT’s partners, alliances and networks including media
- Stakeholder engagement/advocacy strategy.
- Plan of activities on building staff’s capacity in advocacy and communication.
- Evidence of monthly management reports on advocacy and partnership program
- Evidence of functional partnerships created
- Documentations including; policy briefs, social media messaging, newsletter, reports etc
- Evidence of internal policies and directives for advocacy and partnership program
- Evidence of advocacy strategies for litigated cases.
- Evidence of policy reforms moved or adopted.
-Bachelor’s degree in Law, Management, Social Sciences, I.T or Development Studies. (Post-
Graduate in relevant discipline is preferred). Training in project planning methodologies,
governance, human rights, and accountability.
-In-depth understanding of human rights based approach, legal empowerment and social
accountability mechanisms for realization of adequate living rights, programming issues and
policy work at local, national regional and international levels.
-Sound and up to date knowledge of development concepts, methodologies and techniques
including demonstrated understanding of human rights and gender issues and demonstrable
commitment to promoting human rights and gender equality within the organization and in
-Demonstrates very good understanding of and experience in communications and
-Sound knowledge in political, social and economic environment in which CEFROHT’s work
are operating at local, national, regional and international level.
-Understanding project cycle management.
-Excellent understanding of partnerships and donor strategies as well as governmental and
international relations in the country.
-Strong knowledge of M&E methodology, quality assurance.
-Leadership and management
-Excellent presentation, communications and negotiation
-Networking, influencing and interpersonal
-Crisis management and conflict resolution
-Planning, organization, time management, and coordination
-Work on own initiative with minimum supervision and to stay on task.
-Work under pressure and tight deadlines